Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Style: Carnation Confession

I have a confession to make....I love carnations.

This poor flower gets a bad rap and seems to have a cheesy stigma attached to it. I will admit they are not very pretty when they are dyed all types of strange colors and their year-round availability at any grocery store makes them less exotic than a peony. In their natural colors, though, I think their full, ruffled petals are beautiful and create such a full and happy flower arrangement.

I bought some vibrant pink carnations over the weekend and they have brightened up my living room all week. I think carnations may find themselves in my grocery cart more often!

My bright pink carnations in my living room.


This minimalist and more structured arrangement proves that carnations are beautiful even in smaller numbers.

via Apartment Therapy

And I couldn't post about carnations without including one of my favorite ideas from Eddie Ross. I have always loved this tiered birthday cake made out of carnations and have been waiting for an excuse to create one!

via Eddie Ross (complete with a great how to guide)

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post! I love carnations and any other flower with a woody stem. Don't they just last and last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And they are really low maintenance which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally don't like carnations but you've made them look sweet -- and of course everything looks good in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't just love carnations, but your post inspired me to pick some up at the grocery today and I think I'm a carnation convert! Love how they brighten up a room! Thanks for the inspiration!! -Margaret Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you were inspired! I hope you enjoy your carnations and thank you for the comment.

      Delete