Monday, February 27, 2012

Style: 2012 Oscar Red Carpet Fashion

I first have to confess that I didn't even watch half of the Oscar's last night and didn't know who won some of the big categories until this morning (yea Meryl!). I did, however, watch a lot of the red carpet coverage which is my favorite part of any awards show.

I typically don't find red carpet style as interesting as street style because it just all seems a little overdone and too choreographed. Plus, I always feel like there is one major trend and after a while the dresses all start to look somewhat the same. I didn't really feel like that was the case last night. There were no major trends and there were a few stand out dresses for me. These were my favorites...

Hands down my favorite was Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford. I mean she is wearing a cape people! I love the clean silhouette, minimal hair and jewelry oh and did I mention the cape?!? A little kooky, a little risky, but I love it.


A close second was Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton. In the red carpet interviews there was a lot of discussion about what color her dress actually was. Whatever the true color, it was unique and looked beautiful on her skin. She does feminine so well in this dress without having to go full-on ball gown.


While I feel like I have seen this look before, Milla Jovavich' made her one-shoulder Elie Saab Haute Couture silvery gown fresh. The softness of the draping paired with the structure in the shoulder made this dress glamorous and modern. I thought her hair and make up complimented the look well.


Viola Davis' vibrant green Vera Wang dress was such an amazing and stand out color. I was a little nervous about the bust any time she moved around, but overall she looked spectacular. I read a sweet story the other day about how she always wears wigs on the red carpet and her husband told her she was beautiful just the way she was and encouraged her to go sans-wig on the red carpet.


I was ambivilant when I saw Cameron Diaz' Gucci nude gown on the red carpet. I wasn't sure about the color and it seemed a little plain on top. When she walked on stage to present, though, the way the dress fluttered at the bottom was absolutely beautiful. I think her short hair keep this look fun and not too serious.



Speaking of hair, my two favorite "do's" for the night were Jessica Chastain's half-up style with soft waives and Tina Fey's slicked back up do (also loved her custom Carolina Herrera dress).




Who get's your vote for best dressed last night?

No comments:

Post a Comment