Thursday, February 23, 2012

Design: Greenhouses

So....funny fact about my house, I have a greenhouse in my back yard! It came with the house and I am sad to say it has sat in semi-disrepair the almost six years we have lived here. Every spring, I get the itch to repair it, but lose steam so it is still missing window pains, could use a fresh coat of paint and definitely needs a pressure-wash scrubbing.

I have grand plans of using it as a working greenhouse a la Martha Stewart (you can read about her amazing greenhouse in the March issue of Martha Stewart Living), but there is so much I still need to learn about gardening. In the meantime, I would like to transform this backyard eye-sore into something a little more visually pleasing. I am feeling like 2012 will be the year I make this happen!

I have found so many inspiring greenhouses on Pinterest, I started a board completely dedicated to the topic. I promise to document my greenhouse transformation in the spring and include a before and after picture. Here are some images that are particularly inspiring to me.

My greenhouse is concrete and metal and I love the idea of a fresh coat of green paint to help it blend into the surrounding landscape a bit more.
via Pinterest


The climbing roses on this greenhouse are so beautiful and help soften the angles.
via Sunset

This is a little more formal than my greenhouse and backyard, but I love the symmetry of the landscape leading up to and around the greenhouse. The stone base is beautiful and it looks like this isn't used as a greenhouse at all, but an outdoor dining area!
via Pinterest

So this isn't a greenhouse, but I couldn't resist including it. It is a chicken coop! Is this not the most beautiful structure. Pretty nice digs for some chickens.
via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment