Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Design, Style & Taste: Favorite iPad Apps

A friend recently asked me to recommend my favorite iPad apps. I thought I may pose this question on The Zoo and wasn't really sure if this post fit into the Design, Style or Taste category. Once I started listing my favorite apps, I realized it really fits in all three categories. I use my iPad for design inspiration, to shop online and I cook following recipes on my iPad almost every night.

The following is my list of apps, but I feel I haven't even scratched the surface of what is out there so if you have some favorites please share in the comment section. I would love to hear about your favorite apps!

Pulse- A great news aggregate that lets you keep up with the latest from the New York Times, Gawker, Perez Hilton...anything. You can also sink your google reader to this app to keep up with your favorite blogs.

USA Today- This is a quick and easy way to keep up with USA Today if you like that paper.

Perez Hilton- No real explanation needed.

Bible app- A great way to read the bible. You can do study plans, i.e. read the bible in a year (I have fallen terribly behind), bookmark passages, e-mail passages and many more features.

The Weather Channel- I sadly forget to use this as often as I should and inevitably forget to wear a coat on days the temperature drops.

iBooks- I love downloading books and reading them this way. The nice thing is the book downloads so you can read it even when you can't use the wireless internet like on a plane.

Friendly- This is a decent Facebook app, but I would love to find a better one. Some people have recommended Flipboard as a better way to check Facebook.

Martha Stewart Living- I subscribe to the magazine's digital issue through my iPad so it updates with new issues every month. This is one of the coolest apps. The covers of the magazine are animated and just that alone almost makes the subscription worth it.

Pandora- Perfect when you are tired of your iTunes playlists.

IMDB- It drives me crazy when I am watching a movie and can't figure out what else an actor has been in. This app keeps me sane, in that area at least.

HBO TO GO- I have loved this app more than I ever thought I would. I have been watching Bored to Death which has, sadly, been cancelled. If you have HBO on cable, you can download HBO to go and watch any HBO series. I think you have to know your Xfinity password but it wasn't too hard to set up.

PBS- I have already expressed my love of this app for one reason alone...the first season of Downton Abbey.

Zite- My dad introduced me to this app. It is another news feed type app, but it pulls stories based on your interests rather than sites you select so I always find really interesting site, articles, etc. I wouldn't find other wise.

Saks- A really cool way to shop the Saks Fifth Avenue site

Gilt- If you shop on Gilt Group the app is awesome. I like it better than the Gilt site.

1 comment:

  1. Downton Abbey!!! I loooove it! And now I'm definitely going to download the gilt app since you like it so much... I've been hesitant to make the switch. I'm also excited to try the Martha stewart living app! Going to DL it now.
    -CatherineT.

    ReplyDelete