Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Taste: Clementines

This is the time of year when clementines start appearing in grocery stores. For me, the first clementine sighting really seems to signify the Christmas season has begun.

The sweet and tart juicy flavor is such a respite from the heavier flavors of comfort food that is so prevalent in the colder months. I also love that clementines do double duty around the house as both a sweet treat to eat and a festive decoration.

I love the way P. Allen Smith displays bowls of clementines around Moss Mountain Farm.

via Tobi Fairley



While I can eat endless clementines just as they are, I am planning to try this delicious looking recipe from The Food Network.

via Food Network

Chocolate-Dipped Clementines
Makes about 54 pieces

7-8 medium clementines
4-ounce dark chocolate bar (60-70% cocoa), finely chopped
Sea salt


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel and segment clementines, set aside. Gently melt chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave or over a double boiler. Working in small batches, dip segments in chocolate and transfer to parchment-lined sheet. Immediately sprinkle segments with a few grains of salt before the chocolate begins to set. Once all pieces have been dipped, set the sheet aside until chocolate hardens. To quickly harden chocolate, transfer baking sheet to the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Serve at room temperature.



Until then, I am using my first batch of clementines around my house for a touch of Christmas.



1 comment:

  1. I like this decorating idea because it's colorful and elegant but also functional - it serves as food storage!

    ReplyDelete