Friday, March 30, 2012

Design: Southern Female Artists; Part 2

Continuing with my series on southern female artists who have recently captured my attention, I am excited to feature two artists with ties to Charleston. While I don't know either of these ladies personally, from what I have read of them they seem like they would be great fun to hang out with and I would be more than happy to have a piece of both of their artwork hanging in my home.

 Sally Benedict King
I first learned of Sally Benedict King's work through the most recent issue of Matchbook Magazine which features a great article on Sally, her work and her chic Charleston home. Sally and the article made me want to be an artist "when I grow up!" Sally is an abstract artist who uses an amazing color palette. She reminds me of a modern, feminine Kandinsky. To see more of her work, visit http://www.sallybenedict.com/ or her blog http://www.blog.sallybenedict.com/.

ROSE HILL   48x48   acrylic, gouache, charcoal and oil pastel on canvas

VENTURA 48x48 acrylic, gouache, charcoal and oil pastel on canvas-framed


Sally at work via Matchbook

Lulie Wallace
I found Lulie Wallace's work through Sally Benedict King's blog and I just think the name Lulie is so southern and adorable! Lulie paints still lifes, mostly vibrant still lifes of flowers. I love that she has taken a subject that has been painted throughout the history of art and made it completely new and fresh with her unique composition and style. You can see more of her work, including what is available for purchase at http://www.luliewallace.com/.


24x30 Flowers For Mary Grace

24x24 Flowers for Lily

Images from www.sallybenedict.com and www.luliewallace.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment